Last week, my serger died. Let’s pause a moment and mourn its passing.
So I got a new one! And this serger has a lot more bells and whistles. Welcome to the workshop Singer 14T968DC! The new machine can do the functions of the old serger, a Simplicity 4-thread overlock. But the new one can be converted to work as a cover-stitch machine as well. I have been giddy to try everything since I got it out of the box. I already had several knitwear projects cut and ready to sew, so I will be able to create useful things as I learn.
First up is a simple raglan tee. I used McCall’s pattern M7286 (rating Easy), but any favorite raglan pattern would do. I have always been drawn to bright red clothes and anything with high contrast and color blocking. Something about that sharp, vivid combination of black and white with any bright color really puts me in a great mood. So when I saw the “Where’s Fido” pattern, I immediately thought about pairing it with blocks of black or red. Plus, the dogs in the pattern are so whimsical and cute – how could I resist?
I considered black accents, but in the end, I cut out a red neckband and short red sleeves to go with the patterned front and back.
I have been using my duct tape double to test fit clothes as I go. I’m glad I did. On the model, I could see that the shape was a little boxier than I usually like. I pinned some darts into the back and it looked much better. Since the top is so casual that it could even serve as sleepwear, I chose to leave it loose and boxy. But before I took the pins out, I made new pattern pieces for the back and front. I reduced the back by the area pinched out by the darts. I lengthened the side seam on the front to match the new back piece. Then I traced the new pieces onto swedish tracing paper, cut them out, and put them with the rest of the (tissue) pattern pieces. The next time I make this raglan, I will have a choice between a straight or fitted version.
Now that I have the coverstitch machine, I wish I had cut the bottom straight across. Then I could have done a completely ready-to-wear hem finish. The shaped hemline seemed like it would be better suited to a zigzagged narrow hem though. So I will save the coverstitch for a future project.
It turned out so cute, I can hardly believe it. If only my dog had a matching leash and collar…
(getting out markers) Hmmm….